Saturday, March 05, 2005

Spectral sands




This week, Tibetan monks have been creating a sand mandala at the Wagga Art Gallery. Starting on Tuesday, they have been working all week from 10am-5pm and tomorrow is the dissolution ceremony.

These pics were taken yesterday morning after an an hour of chanting, which I attended...well, my body and whatever amount of my subconscious I could arouse, thanks to sleeplessness, toxin/morning fatigue and the distracting cries of a kid beside me.

But, once I concentrated beyond the surface static, I percieved patterns in the richly textures of interlacing ribbons of voice.
Powerful and delicate, deep and textured;- almost fugish in its manner of one deep voice setting the next phrase and sonic motif simultaneously with the echoing chants of the group of monks, like the bones upon which all intricacy was woven.

Bold phrasing like a vein from which flowed intricate capilliation, a mighty, land-forming river feeding to smaller, geography-obediant streams which sustained the final fabric of each sound.

The entire universe, or so we believe, is comprised of ever-vibrating molecules. Sound is the further vibration of molecules in eminating waves. When we experience sounds they change our very molecular structure.

Mantras embed subcosciously communicative information. Words are chosen through careful meditation so that the very sound the word is meant to equal that which it names. "Om" is the key example, as the tambre of the word is said to be the very sound of the universe as a whole...

...and speaking of the universe as a whole, I have read that the smallest form in the universe and the universe itself, are of identical shape; the Double-Helix. I read this a while ago.
(Please comment if you can help me clarify this...)

Hum mane padme hum.
(You are the jewel of the lotus)













eXTReMe Tracker